This blog is dedicated to my little girl Ellie Marie. She was stillborn at 37 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy. I am hoping that this blog will help me and others who have to go through this grieving and healing process.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

10 Things about nature that I am grateful for

Ellie, my heart is heavy today so I feel the need to make myself think of things again that I am grateful for.
1. The smell of rain, but especially in Southern New Mexico. The smell of rain in the desert is the most wonderful smell in the world. I miss it a lot.
2. White Christmas'. I worry that we may not have one this year. I don't want the world to be just dark and dead on Christmas. If I can't have you for Christmas I at least want snow.
3. I love hiking up into a mountain or around a lake and being away from any roads. I love the quiet or not the quiet but the sound of the forest or whatever wilderness i'm in.
4. Stars. I have always loved looking at the stars and wondering at the vastness of space. I love that I get to teach astronomy to my students. I have great memories of going out to the desert to look at the stars with my family.
5. The Ocean. There is something so magical and peaceful about the ocean. I love swimming in and feelings its power. I love gazing at it and watching and hearing its rhythmic motion. I love colors.
6. Sunsets are beautiful anywhere. My two favorite places to watch the sun set are in Las Cruces and on the beach. Las Cruces is open you get to see big beautiful skies with lots of colors.
7. I love watching a flower I have planted begin to grow and bloom.
8. I love Yellowstone. We have been there more times than I can count. It has great memories associated with it. I love the forest, the animals, that canyon, the lake, and all the fascinating geysers. There is no place like it in the world. I like to imagine what the first explorers or the Native Americans thought when they came across that place.
9. Manatees and Platypus'. They are such interesting animals. I know God got a kick out of creating the Duck Billed Platypus. He probably knew that would really screw up our categorizing system. Hmmm a mammal that lays eggs and shoots poisonous quills, good idea.
10. Thick freshly mowed grass. Grass is amazing. It is the only plant that can live through us constantly walking, running, and playing sports on top off.

No comments:

Post a Comment